Monday 29 February 2016

Shutting down

I've been trying hard to shut down.  Not pause, not fast forward, not rewind.  Great terminology which has been given to us by technology.   The latter all remind me of a good old fashioned tape deck, although no doubt they go back further than that, to times before such things were available to anyone who cared to enter Woolworths and shell out.  Shut down, though, belongs to the world of computers.  And frustratingly, when I try, sometimes the screen just hangs, and there I am, in limbo, in a world where the bit of me that's supposedly switched on just isn't functional.

Or maybe it's more like trying to quit reluctant applications. I'd like one or two of them just to go away, temporarily, for here and now, but they sit there like sulking toads, hogging their lily leaves and refusing to duck under water or scurry off into the undergrowth.  Sometimes I swear they poke long curly tongues out at me.

And I'm on holiday, and I can't entirely remember which applications I am trying to force close.  Alt Control Delete.  And also, somehow I can't stop.  There are a lot of hours I can't bear to see empty because that might open up an application I'm somehow not quite ready for.

No comments:

Post a Comment