Tuesday 28 June 2016

Antonym for Great

No suitable antonym for great exists.  I don't know what to think of Great Britain.  Small minded Britain springs to mind.

A steady theme of those who voted to Leave the UK hears them on interview on TV saying, passionately, often in a trembling voice "I've got my England back".  Often people my age who only knew an England within Europe.  Trying to turn a clock back, return to something you didn't even live through in the first place is incomprehensible to me.

Well, I haven't.  I've lost my England.  My England was a colourful place, it embraced diversity, played with it, relished it, enjoyed it, had a sense of humour about differences and chuckled about change, loved the increase in wild and wonderful foodstuffs, played with the new words we were making part of our language.  Had creativity, made friends, married into diversity.  Loved it.  Loved diversity.  That was my England.  I want my England back.

I don't want a place where racist attacks are returning, where individuals I cannot understand and won't try to understand feel that it's now OK to abuse their fellow citizens because they've not been in the UK for generations.  It's not OK. It's not OK at all, violence, name calling, snearing, verbal abuse, letters, hate mail, internet attitude, none of that is OK, none of that is British.  I am ashamed.  Thoroughly ashamed to have to admit to being British.  This really sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment